Friday, July 23, 2010

James McAvoy is Professor X. Really?


The leader of the mutant race. Oh boy.


I'm aware I'm slowpoking a bit, but bear with me.

Maybe it’s just me, but I really cannot imagine the star of ‘Wanted’ as the Martin Luther King, Jr. of mutants.

Alice Eve as the sexy, damaged Emma Frost? Yeah, totally.

Nicholas Holt as Beast? I’ve never really watched ‘Skins’ and I’m not entire sure which character Eusebios was in ‘Clash of the Titans,’ (list the names of three of the ‘supporting characters’ who come to Perseus’s aid and I’ll give you a cookie), but yeah, there’s no reason why not. Slap some glasses on him, have him walk on the ceiling, and BOOM, you’ve got yourself a Beast.

I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen Jennifer Lawrence in anything, although she’ll be playing a shape-shifting mutant who spends most of her time with blue skin, so you could cast pretty much any hot female and put a red wig on her.

McAvoy as Charles Xavier just really doesn’t do it for me. I’m a pretty enormous comic book geek and while it might be my hatred of ‘Wanted’ straying so far from the source material (where was the petition that THAT casting was racist?), I really, really, really can’t imagine him bald, let alone the leader of the mutant race.

I had the same problem with Timothy Olyphant in ‘Hitman.’ Was Jason Statham really too busy making 'In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale' to play Agent 47?

I guess I have a hard time seeing people with hair not having hair, or maybe Patrick Stewart ruined all other Xaviers for me with his character-defining performance. Tell me you don’t read Professor X’s dialogue in Jean-Luc Picard’s voice.

Do I trust anybody to cast an X-Men movie right outside of Marvel Studios? No. Will I shell out the money to see the movie regardless? Yes. Will James McAvoy turn out to be the Aladdinian diamond in the rough that will blow me away? Maybe. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment